Friday, April 26, 2013

GOING GOURMET CRAZY



                



 There are everyday things we all buy and it feels like a treadmill: milk, butter, eggs, milk, butter, bread, milk, butter….And then there is sexy shopping that feels like you are in the lingerie department of food.

This week I indulged at the newly opened Gourmet Life on Edgecliff Road and stocked up on the sort of condiments that make every day pantry staples go zing. In some ways I like to tell myself it’s a very luxe form of house keeping (and vicarious travel), as I can take a bag of basmati or plain pasta and make something kinky, posh or simply a bit more sophisticated for 'drop of the hat entertaining'.
On my maiden voyage to Josh Rea’s exotic food emporium I chose the blue Persian salt, chilli angel hair, some truffle oil, a bottle of black currant vinegar, some very curious kamut pasta, some black hawaiian salt, and a smattering of caviar. The shop also stocks lovely oddities like Rome’s oldest coffee, the best European Porcini mushrooms and summer truffles from Tuscanny. I am already planning my next visit to buy the lavender infused olive oil, kiwi fruit jam and a special honey…. amazing. 



      





No comments:

Post a Comment